"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thursday, March 20, 2008

Making marshmallows

My grandsons are out on spring break so our eldest, Connor, went to work w/ Grouchy & Caeden & I did some pre-Easter baking. We made raspberry-flavored marshmallows & chocolate egg-shaped cupcakes. I froze the cupcakes, unfrosted, & I'll thaw them on Sat to decorate then. The recipe I used for the marshmallows was Alton Brown's. I'll just post the link instead of taking up blog space w/ the recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_88610,00.html
Since powdered sugar already has cornstarch in it, I omitted that. I used a tsp of raspberry extract instead of vanilla & I added just a hint of rose pink food coloring. These were better than the gourmet ones I bought last week but be prepared for a sticky mess when it gets to be time to spread it in the pan. It cleaned up easy enough though...thank goodness!

BTW You will probably need a heavy duty mixer to make these. I once made a batch of Ina Garten's Toasted Coconut Marshmallows, before I got my KitchenAid, & it bogged down my stand mixer big time. The marshmallow crawled all the way up the beaters to the head of the machine! I thought the mixer was going to blow a gasket! LOL


Forgive my coffeemaker mess...it came off it's unde-cabinet base this weekend & hubby & I are going to buy a new one instead of remounting this one. Word to the wise...never buy a Black & Decker Spacemaker coffee-maker...you can't pour a cup w/out making a mess, no matter how hard you try.


Here's Caeden checking the progress.

Getting ready to put the extract & food coloring in.

Look at the look of contentment on his face!


These were even prettier than the gourmet ones I bought too! *said w/ pride* The pizza cutter cut them very neatly...I just love Alton's tips!




3 comments:

a pink-bee said...

WOW ! What a fun project ~ have been wanting to make marshmallows~ will have to try it now :) Thanks for sharing:) and thanks for visiting ~ have a happy day :)
crystal

LadyJayPee said...

How COOL to make your own marshmallows! I don't know if I'll ever get to that project and WISH I could taste them from here!

Shelby said...

I love the pic of Cayden licking the beater! Great post Vinty. Those marshmallows look so nice. I'm wondering now if maybe I should give them a hand myself!