"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Monday, November 22, 2010

Meet my new love!

I can't believe I've had Sonny Boy for almost 3 mos & haven't shared him w/ y'all! But he is my new love...my heart dog, as I call him. Y'all know I love my Rudy but he's everybody's dog, not mine. And I need a little companion by my side....someone to follow me & listen to me (w/out talking back! LOL) Rudy is more likely to be hanging out w/ the grands than he is me. Not that I would change that about him, there's not much about him I would change but I need a dog that makes me the center of their universe. I've been talking about getting another shiht for a year but I've delayed....knowing that my heart dog would call me, just like my beloved Gizzy called to me so many years ago. So I waited on that sign & waited & waited...all the while, knowing that it would be easiest to raise 2 puppies @ the same time. Instead of going through the housebreaking & the teething, only to turn around & do it all over again. But I didn't want just any dog...I wanted my heart dog. So I remained patient & then one day, hubby & I are in the car talking dog talk & discussing different breeds. I told him, "shihts will always be the dogs for me". And as I said it, we passed a sign hanging on a fence, reading "Shih Tzu puppies for sale". So I wonder, "is this the sign I've been waiting for?" LOL

I couldn't take my mind off it & called when I got home. To my dismay, those puppies had already been sold but then I still felt driven to finding my heart dog that day. And I mean compelled & almost frantic! I spent hours looking @ online ads & saw many, many adorable puppies but when I locked eyes w/ this little bugger...I knew he was the one & the only one.... I had to have him! I called & left message but never heard back (I didn't bother to call about any others cause they weren't the dog for me, even if they wre little cuties). All day long, I fretted & fretted & finally @ 8:00 that evening, I received a call back. The lady told me she had one shiht left, a male. I asked her to tell me honestly, why she thought he was the last puppy left & she said "cause he doesn't like anybody but me; he's constantly by my side".

We drive 2 hours (on a Friday night) to see him & as soon as I picked him up, he melded into me & he was mine!

This is the pic that stole me heart w/ just one look....it was taken @ his breeder's house & he was 11 weeks old. The breeder's teenage daughter had tried to keep him for herself but he refused everybody but her mother...until I came along. I joke that he was saving himself for me like I was saving myself for him. ;)

Here's Sonny @ a grand's birthday party...pining away for his Mama. He's very friendly w/ everyone, even strangers but he is my constant companion...my heartbeat @ my feet.

The paci is in his mouth most of the day...too cute!

We scored a big bonus w/ the love that Rudy & Sonny share for each other....they're very, very close. But although they look so much alike, they're completely different in personality. Rudy is timid & fearful, even a little neurotic & is a bit of a loner. Sonny is bold, friendly, assertive (our chi can't boss him around!) & needs constant companionship.



Here they are napping together, looking more like one dog than two.

But as much as Sonny loves Rudy, he'll ditch him in a second if I leave the room. I like to say that "many dogs will hold pieces of your heart but very few will be your heart."

This is my heart, all wrapped up in fur & w/ a bit of an attitude...my Sonny Boy.


BTW look at teh lack of drainage from Sonny's eyes (you can see the dark tear streaks in the first pic of him @ 11 weeks). If your dog has allergies or suffers from drainage from the eyes (as so many white faced dogs do) I highly suggest Blue Buffalo dog food. It's kinda pricey (even more than the Science Diet prescription food I used to have to feed Gizzy) but it is sooo worth it. We started feeding it to Rudy cause it was recommended by our vet (Rudy is an allergy sufferer) but when I noticed that Sonny had no more tears, I looked at the ingredient list out of curiousity...they use all deboned chicken (for their puppy food, Rudy's food is salmon based), no glutens, no corn & all natural ingredients like dried blueberries, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. Just go read the ingredients label & that alone will convince you to feed it to your furbaby.

10 comments:

Gone said...

What a cutie Sonny is!!

I totally understand the Heart Dog...that would be our Benny (our Havanese). He gets me and I get him. He takes care of his baby sister, Rosie (the toy poodle) and has since we got her at 3#, 11 weeks. He is always watching me...running to me and jumping up (without touching me) and giving me kisses!! He loves to snuggle and take "naps" with me. The naps I speak of can be an actual naps...or 5 minutes in our recliner. He doesn't care!!

We've been feeding our pups Blue buffalo Wilderness...and they love it! Our Maltese takes a Claritin each day, eats Blue and still has some tear stains. We even use a wipe the Vet suggested to help neutralize the stain...nothing does it!!

I feel it's the BEST food for all of them!!

Joyce's Journey said...

Oh my goodness! What a face on that sweet little puppy, Sonny. I can see why you are so in love with that little guy. He is adorable. I know that feeling. I have a little pup (now 2 years old) that I got when her mom got hit by a car when she was just 3 weeks old. She weighed 1 lb., 6oz and I had to feed her with an eye dropper. Needless to say, she is my true love, baby, my heart. I can so relate to what you are saying. Sonny is precious. I am so very happy for you!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh...he is precious! Bentley is my Heart Dog...he has mine, and I have his. He will let others pet him and stuff...but he LOVES me!
I know you are just in love!! enjoy!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh, Cami, how adorable. I understand why Sonny has your heart! We love our Shih Tzu, too! Shoot, Sonny and my Rosie could be boyfriend & girlfriend!! :0)

Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Pat @ My Tattered Elegance said...

Sonny is totally awsome. Beautiful puppy. I am so happy for you!!
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
Was so good to see you and your friends Sat.
Hugs, Pat

Melissa Miller said...

Cami how PRECIOUS!!!! I adore them both. I'm so happy you have them and they have each other too. They are gorgeous boys. You know I love Shih-stzus so much.

Happy weekend to you sweet friend.
~Melissa :)

Alexandra MacVean said...

Sonny is ABSOLUTELY cuddly adorable!! Awwww. hee :)

I found your lovely blog via the #7 matchbox I received of yours. I SO love it. Thank you. Looking forward to opening it.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Oh my goodness so very very
precious !! We have two
Shih Tzus that we just
adore so I totally understand.
I am really curious about the
food because ours both
have teary eyes ~ Does it
make them not tear as much or
just not stain their fur ?

xoxo
Lori

Shelby said...

How sweet Cami! I love the photo of them sleeping together however they are all adorable!

Charlene said...

Sonny is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!! I have just started to have that ACHE for another. I am still so grieving Reba. I just can't pull the trigger but, the hole in my heart & the lack of a warm furry body is wearing on me as the Holidays approach. I can't believe it will be a year in February since she's gone to watch over me from above instead of here on earth. She NEVER left my side (like you say about Sonny). ENJOY every minute. I miss you! Charlene