"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Last Rose of Summer

Welcome to another Rose Wednesday! Today I thought I'd share some photos of the last of my roses (maybe the last... Texas weather can be very unpredictable so I may have a rose or 2 in December)
My rosebushes aren't laden w/ roses but nearly each one still has a couple of fall stragglers.

























-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'Tis the last rose of summer
Left blooming alone;
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone;


No flower of her kindred,
No rosebud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes,
To give sigh for sigh.


I'll not leave thee,
thou lone one!
To pine on the stem;
Since the lovely are sleeping,
Go, sleep thou with them.



Thus kindly I scatter,
Thy leaves o'er the bed,
Where thy mates of the garden
Lie scentless and dead.


So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
From Love's shining circle
The gems drop away.


When true hearts lie withered
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit,
This bleak world alone?


Poem by Irish poet Thomas Moore


------------------------------------------------------------




Thanks for stopping by! Now I'm off to thank the hostess & see all the other Rose Wednesday posts!



9 comments:

Shelby said...

Beautiful picutures Vinty!

Gone said...

Such beautiful roses! Ours are totally gone...we had several hard freezes already.

I especially LOVE the pink beauty!!

~Blessings,
Jan

ps...thanks for participating!

Anonymous said...

Cami,
Beautiful Roses....Happy Rose Wednesday...Katherinellen

Meg said...

I love this post! I live in Texas too and have many flowers thinking it is Spring and time to bloom. I am loving the bright colors in my backyard.

Cathy said...

Hi Cami,

Thank you so much for your sweet words on my blog about my Romantic Homes feature. I am so excited to share it with all of you. Enjoy it my friend.

xo Cathy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful! laurie

Laurie said...

Being in Mississippi we get roses through December and sometimes January as well. These are such beauties, thanks for sharing!

The Teacup Cottage said...

We are just seeing our final buds blossom here in Houston as well. Such a sad thought, until you realize soon there will be new ones all over again!

Anonymous said...

Vinty, absolutely breathtaking pics and I loved the poem! I still have two buds in a vase on my windowsill from my neighbor's bounty, but snow is predicted here in MN today!