"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sunday, June 1, 2008

Show n tell


What fun! I haven't done show n tell since grade school & that was a verrry long time ago. ;o)

I'm in the midst of moving my office/studio from one room to another & I am painting an assortment of furniture, that I have bought over the years & saved for this purpose. I sure wish I had painted as I had bought. It's a bigger undertaking than I had imagined. Over the past few weeks, I've painted a hutch topper, an old desk & a huge armoire (inside & out!)...all with very dark stained finishes, that bled through. So several coats were required even w/ using Kilz...I swear by that stuff! The walls of the room I painted Antique Fan Pink by Vespar @ Lowes & it's a fabulous color. It's rich enough to be bold w/out being overwhelming. You don't walk in the room & think, "Well it's pink!", you just think, "What a great color!". It's almost the shade of pink depression glass but it's not quite as bright.

I still need to do a long drop-leaf table, another hutch topper & a dresser so it will probably be a couple more weeks before I am done w/ the whole room but thankfully both the table & teh hutch-topper have been previously painted so they won't be as big a job.


I am about finished w/ the armoire & I'm all done w/ my desk area. All I lack on the armoire is putting on the crystal knobs & adding a thin piece of trim, around the wallpaper panels. The wallpaper wasn't quite as wide as the door so instead of doing the whole piecing & seaming bit, I just centered them & then I'll tack on trim around the edges.


Wish I had thought to do a before pic on this piece. It had a very dark stain & on one door, the finish was ruined. I'll hang more stuff on the sides to make use of the space.

I strung white lights through the decor on top of the armoire & of course, they stopped working as soon as I got everything all arranged. They're back on now though. *rolling eyes* I have some stuff in the boxes but I can't remember what now so I guess I'll have to label them. Nevermind the popcorn ceiling.


We added shelves to the inside of the armoire & decided to wallpaper them instead of painting because it was a lot easier. I chose to go more for function than looks, on the inside. I envisioned it looking a lot neater & more attractive but I under-estimated how much stuff I have. ;o) I tacked plastic baggies of trim & misc stuff on the inside of the doors & used plastic shoe boxes, glass jars & tins to contain the rest of it.


I made use of the clothesrod already in the armoire & made a ribbon holder out of it. There were rods, on the bottom of the armoire, meant to rest shoes on & we moved them up to the clothesrod to use them also.



Hubby said I've ruined it by putting too much stuff in it. He says it looks "junky". I told him I had to, that I had a lot of stuff. He said I needed to "get rid of some it". *sigh* He's just never gonna get it.


As you can see, I underestimated the amount of ribbon I have too! These rolls have the small holes though so they won't work on the other rods anyway. I'll have to come up w/ some other way to store them.


I'm very, very happy w/ the way my craft closet turned out & it was worth every bit of work. As soon as I finish painting all the other pieces of furniture, I might actually create something.

It'll be this week before I am able to see all of your storage methods & ideas.... I can't wait! Head over to Cerri's @ little pink studio to see the other submissions, should be lots of great inspiration!

18 comments:

Carrie said...

I love all of your stuff - you have such pretty things!

My Arts Desire said...

Cami!
I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. The first time I went "viewing" your post wasn't up or I missed going through the names in order...(more likely the latter!) I adore your blog!! I went poking around and thouroughly enjoyed my visit. From tongue-licking grandbabies (too funny) to gorgeous table settings, to a great sense of refreshing humor, to heartfelt stories of family, and on and on. So many of your quotes are my ALL TIME FAVORITES as well.. I'll be back, for sure!

The tin-topped coffee table (among a zillion other wonderful things I viewed) made my heart sing. I've had these pieces of wonderful old ceiling tin forever, and now I know exactly what I'm going to do with them..thanks to you!

I lived in Houston for six years way back when. Loved the Texan hospitality and the wonderful friends we met & still keep up with to this day.

If I type anymore, this will start to look like I'm a guest writer on your blog!! Sorry about that...it happens when I get excited!

Thanks for sharing!
xo
Sue

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Get rid of some of it??? Its all treasure!

Cami said...

The armoire is rocking. And my ribbon overrunneth too. Love what you've done. And a spray gun is your friend!!!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

i love your armoire.. very pretty.. and you have a wonderful blog here.. and thanks for coming to my page too..

have a super day!..

blessings said...

Noooo... don't get rid of a thing. Unless you're giving it away, in which case I accept donations =) That cabinet is stunning!! Blessings... Polly

Mya said...

Love Love your cabinet and it is full of wonderful things.
-Mya

Margo said...

Wow! Beautiful space and I love your cabinet! I see a few more empty spaces in it for more treasures :-)

Leaon Mary said...

~ oKAY ..... I have wanted an amoire for a very long time.... THIS SETTLES IT.... NOW I must get one. I LOVE LOVELOVE YOURS! WHOOOhOoOOO
Your pictures remind me of Jo Packhams Where women create book!
Beautiful beautiful!
I LOVE PASTELS.... AND ROSES AND WOW... YOUR THINGS INSPIRE ME!
Lea

Lynn said...

Wow, beautiful job on that armoire, and what do husbands know anyway? We need supplies at hand right? I love the use of the wallpaper on and inside it, and that pink paint on the walls is lovely.
I have never used Kilz, will have to look into it. I just realised how much I hate sanding and painting furniture LOL

m i c h e l l e said...

Oh my stars and planets! What a gorgeous thing to behold! You did SUCH a great job!

Anonymous said...

thank you for stopping by sweetfinds! I hope to hear from you again! xoxo, joanna

Anonymous said...

Well now....I have a new mission. Be on the look out for an old armoire to use in my studio. Great idea and yours looks fabulous.

CIELO said...

You have everyting so organized in that closet.... and it looks so pretty too! :)

Have a blessed day

Cielo

kari and kijsa said...

Such pretty things and wonderful photos! Have a fabulous weekend!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Linda said...

Vinty is that the "pink" room--it's beautful--I love it! Now I wanna make a craft room.

Unknown said...

whoa...what a cabinet!!! Looks so perfect from the outside and a stash of treasure inside :)

Shelby said...

I love your new craft cabinet! Great idea on using the rods as ribbon holders!