"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thursday, May 8, 2008

The best thing that ever happened to me....

happened 10 years ago today. My eldest grandson, Connor's birthday is today....Happy Birthday Scrappy! (his baseball nickname) I cannot tell you the impact the little bugger has had on my life...right from the get-go! Before he was born, I thought I was wayyy too young & hip for the grandmom scene. Boy, was I wrong! Grandkids are the greatest thing since....well, since EVER!


"They" always tell you that the greatest thing about grandkids is that you can spoil them & send them home but that's not it. The greatest thing about grandkids is that God wired them to want to please their grandparents...just like he wired them to seek independence, from their parents, by rebelling. ;o) So grandkids mind...most of the time, anyway! LOL


Connor was the greatest Mother's Day present of all time...he was born on a Friday & came home that Sunday, which was Mother's Day. My Mother's Day presents that year, were a rocker for my house & a glider for my porch, so that I could sit, inside or out, & rock my new grandbaby. The rocker has since been replaced by my grandmother's old needlepoint rocker (she rocked my father, myself, my siblings, cousins & my children in it....had to have it!) but I still have the glider & Connor & I still rock in it. In fact, I think that's on my agenda for this Mother's Day too. ;o)



I'll be picking him up from school soon & we'll spend the afternoon together. It's kind of a tradition that I make him a butterscotch treat on his birthday so I've made him a homemade butterscotch pudding w/ meringue top.

I love you so very much, Connor....you are & will always be, the greatest thing that ever happened to me.




5 comments:

Linda said...

Vinty what a wonderful post--you are the best "Honey", and Connor is a great kid.

CIELO said...

How sweet.... Happy Birthday to handsome Scrappy.... such a fine young man! :) This is a wonderful tribute for Mother's Day... grandmas are mothers too.... I would love to see your story linked to my blog, using Mr. Linky's box... the only thing you need to do is add your name and your URL and your blog will be link to mine, so that everybody vising can enjoy your story... :)

Have a wonderful and blessed Mother Day....

Hugs

Cielo

Shelby said...

I can only imagine (for now!) the joy of my children having children! I imagine the love is two-fold! Happy (belated) birthday to Connor!

LadyJayPee said...

What a heart-warming post & wonderful tribute to your grandbabies. I can hear your pride in them and in your role. You are a model "Honey" to many. And I love the thought of you having your grandmother's rocker with all of its family history & tradition.

Anonymous said...

I got all teary eyed Cami! I love his grin in his baseball photo. He is too danged cute and you are the greatest honey EVER!
Jam