"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Monday, March 14, 2011

It was a sad week for us....

we suffered 2 devastating losses. On Wednesday, my cousin Bruce (he's on the right w/ my sisters & cousin Trey in this photo from the 80's) suffered an aortic aneurysm & passed away. My cousin Brucie was a very proper man but he also had a prankster, fun-loving side....scaring us with ghost stories about our grandparents' ranch when we were kids & years later, dressing up as Bigfoot at a girls' camp-out for one of his daughters. His funeral service was a reflection of that & was filled w/ laughter. I so admired the grace & humor displayed by his wife & adult children. Yes, humor...for Brucie left them w/ so many memories full of laughter, that it carried over into his service. We wept, sure....but we laughed far more than we wept. I wanna go out like that!

Brucie was a very successful man..... he was a lawyer here in Ft Worth but always swore that one day, he would write a screenplay & make a movie. I am thrilled to tell you that he lived to accomplish that goal...he wrote & was executive producer of a horror film entitled Beneath The Darkness. It stars Dennis Quaid & will be released in October of this year. I am so glad he lived to make the movie but sure wish he had lived long enough to see it's release. Even more, I wish that he were going to be here for the birth of his first grandchild...a boy. How heart-wrenching it was to see his daughter, big with child @ her father's funeral. :(

I am very, very fortunate to have known Brucie...he was a fun-loving, caring, do-right, intelligent, ambitious man who put his family first & foremost. All of his family....right down to his pesky younger cousins.

Give MamMaw & Colonel a big hug & kiss from me, Cuz! Tell them it's gonna be awhile but I do plan on making it there. ;)

And then on Friday, we suffered another devastating loss when we had to say good-bye to our chihuahua, Baby. She was 13 & had respiratory problems & started suffering horrible seizures from lack of oxygen, so we had to let her go. She was Princess I'll Do What I Want & kept her regal beauty, right up until the end though....as evidenced by this photo, taken just last summer.

I am honored to have been your queen Baby and although I'm not quite the task-master you were, I'll try to keep everybody in line. Love you Baby Girl!



8 comments:

Grace said...

Sorry for your loss sweetie! May the happy fun memories mend your heart. Grace xoox

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Dear Cami, so very sorry for both of your losses. May God continue to comfort you with cherished memories.

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Dear Cami, so sorry to hear of your losses. Sounds like Bruce was a fun-loving cousin and Baby was a wonderful companion for many years. God bless you one and all and give you comfort in these trying times. Best wishes, Tammy

Joyce's Journey said...

Oh my goodness! How sad! All of it! Your cousin, Brucie, sounds like he was an incredible person that brought so much to all the lives he touched. What a wonderful purpose he had! I will watch for his movie and give him the credit he deserves! And your pooch! OMG!!! I've been through the same thing so I so feel your pain. May your memories help you through this time. God bless!!

kluless said...

I am so sorry for your losses. Be strong and be well!

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry for all the sadnesses in your life right now.

Sounds like the world will be a sadder place for both losses.

Hugs and prayers.

FredaB said...

Dear Cami

It is never easy to lose someone whether animal or people. You sound like you have lots of fun memories of both and may this carry you through.

We still recount stories of our last dog Murphy (Mrs.) and the crazy things she used to do.

Take care

Hugs'FredaB

mirandachiop said...

Gosh, Cami, I am so sorry to hear about your double loss. Sometimes it seems we just can't catch a break! I know with your "go forth and conquer" spirit you'll be the cheerleader and the guide for your grieving family. I am holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, dear friend!