"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tasty Tuesday...watermelon sorbet

I know for most of you, Fall has arrived & your menus & thoughts are geared up for cooler weather. But Fall is late in coming here to Texas & September is still very "summery". To extend the watermelon season, I made some watermelon sorbet .... yummy, icy goodness!

The recipe is originally by epicurious but I've made a couple of additions. I like to add salt to bring out the flavor & I always add vodka to my sorbets. No! Not because I'm a lush! *grins* Because the alchohol inhibits the freezing process & keeps it from getting rock hard in the freezer. So you're gonna need to add it, after it freezes in your ice cream maker.



Watermelon Sorbet

Ingredients:
8 cups cubed (1 inch) watermelon, seeds and rind discarded
1 cup Simple Sugar Syrup
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup vodka
1/2 tsp salt

Puree the watermelon cubes in a food processor or blender. Measure 4 cups of the puree and place in a bowl. Add the Simple Sugar Syrup, salt and lemon juice and stir well. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once frozen, add vodka & whirl for another minute.

(Simple Syrup is just one part water to one part sugar, boiled for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar.)

There's lots more good recipes on Tasty Tuesday @ Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. Be sure & leave a comment for our lovely hostess Jenn...she'll appreciate it.


9 comments:

Chelsey said...

looks great! i will try this one out.

Signing Out said...

LOL ... still cracking up over the vodka/lush comment. This looks delicious!

Jane

Unknown said...

I have always loved watermelon sorbet. Last year Yarnell's made a version that was soooooooo good! I missed having it this year. Thanks for sharing this. I would like to invite you to participate in Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Come check it out.

Katy ~ said...

Yummm...guess I better get going on getting an ice cream maker. I STILL don't have one. Bought that Magic Bullet though LOL!!!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

oh...yummy! we love watermelon and any recipes we can find for it....now if only they had a delicious sorbet for zucchini!

Katy ~ said...

Cami, you me laugh. Yep, I do use that ole Magic Bullet. It's been a handy little gadget and it just beats taking out my big food processor for some of those smaller jobs. Cleans up pretty easily, does make chopping quicker, though like all appliances, it does seem to be a nuisance to drag out when, superficially, it seems just as easy to chop by hand, which just isn't so because of the time saved. When will I learn?

A Refocused Life said...

First time visitor. Enjoyed your blog.

Diana LaMarre said...

That recipe looks like something I would love. I have copied it. What a great idea to put the vodka in so it does not freeze hard. Thanks so much, Cami!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Looks lovely. Hope you get a chance to swing by Momtrends for my recipe swap. Have a great weekend.

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/09/friday-food-perfect-and-healthy-blt.html