"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thursday, November 13, 2008

Counting my blessings!

It's hard to believe that just a few months ago, I was filled w/ such concern & such fear...overwhelming, "I can't draw a breath!" fear. Mind-numbing, thought-erasing, all encompassing fear! Fear that he wouldn't live, fear that he would have to be on dialysis for the rest of his life, fear that he would never be able to lead a normal life, fear that he would be horribly scarred, fear that he would be absent from the birth of his first child, fear that his accident would sour the wonderful attitude & outlook he has, fear that it would change him as a person (because I thought he was perfect as is), fear that he would be enveloped by depression....I lived in a constant state of extreme fear for over 3 months.

And those fears weren't unfounded...I will never forget telling Clifton's Dr that I needed him to let me know when Clifton was of the woods & he replied, "When he's out of the hospital. I've had burn patients be here 6 weeks & are doing fine & then an infection comes along & they die." *gasp!*


When I first saw my son after his accident (find an explanation in this post ) I would not have recognized him as my son. His face & neck were burned & bandaged & swollen beyond recognition....his entire torso was mummified in bandages! By the next day, I had resigned myself to the fact that he was never going to be the same or look the same. EVER! The Drs gave us a pretty grim prognosis. They predicted a skin graft would be needed on his right cheek (in addition to the grafting needed on his leg, torso, arms & hands), that he would have limited use of his left hand & only minimal use of his right & that he would be disfigured & disabled. That I would need to plan on spending the next year caring for him!

But what do they know?!?!?! God has other plans for my son.... for look at him today, just 4 months after his accident! His left hand is fully functional & his PT predicts that hard work will bring the return of most, of the functionality, of his right. His scarring is minimal on his face & will fade w/ time. And he's completely self-sufficient!!!!

But God doesn't deserve all the credit...Clifton works long, hard, painful hours EVERY day to loosen up the contracture that forms in his limbs at night while he sleeps. He maintains his sense of humor & keeps us all laughing....sometimes over inappropriate or ghastly jokes about his accident! He has told us that he no longer wants to work for us at our shop. He wants to go to school to become a physical therapist so that he can help others, the way he has been helped. The boy makes his mama proud!




The reporter who first covered his accident was very touched by Clifton & his story & recently contacted him to do a follow-up. This is a picture of Clifton, standing in front of the burned wall of our shop, (the splint he wears on his right hand is to help control the contracture...he wore one on his left for a time but no longer needs it) that the Ft Worth Star telegram posted of him in a recent front page article . here's the link to this weeks article as well as a video they made of him. (the black glove & sleeves you see on him are compression garments...they help minimize the thickness of the scars for better appearance & function)

His dad was soooo right...(quoted from the article) " His father said, "I told them (Drs): 'You don’t know him. He’s a tough kid and, I promise you, he’ll be ahead of schedule.’ "

He's always been special...I've known it, his father has known it. Now the world knows it too.

14 comments:

Shelby said...

Vinty, you are an amazing mom and your son is just as amazing.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What inspiration you and your incredible son are providing. My prayers are with you. I'm sure the struggles continue. Thank you for posting this. laurie

Melissa Miller said...

Hi, What an amazing story. I will pray for his contined recovery. Thank you for sharing and for the kind visit today. ~Bless you. ~Melissa

Terri Steffes said...

Wow, that is totally amazing. That is such an inspiring story and one that makes my daily gripes so insignificant. Thanks for sharing his story with us. And, thanks for visiting my blog!

Miss Janice said...

Thank you so much for sharing that story with all of us. Bless your heart--God is good, isn't he? And may he continue to bless your son and your entire family.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What an amazing story. My prayers are indeed with your son and your family.

Tardevil said...

How great is a mother's love??? Will keep him in my prayers. What an awesome story he has to share, huh? LOL! (((((HUGS!))))

Anonymous said...

Our God is so good!

Gone said...

What an amazing recovery. Burns are the WORST! God does deserve ALL the credit, though. HE is why your son is so strong. HE is why your son is able to do all that he is doing. HE is why your son has recovered so miraculously!

~Blessings,
Jan

LADY JANE said...

God bless Clifton and the strong wonderful Mother he has! Prayers and hugs for you!

Dresden Plate said...

How amazing, and how wonderful to read of your son's recovery and triumph over ills.

brettinsky said...

What an inspiration he is! Thanks for sharing the video.

the author said...

... That is just amazing... I'm awed...

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Amen to God's mercy and grace! Glad to hear your son is on the road to a full recovery!